Monday, November 19, 2012

Christmas time: The season of consumerism!

Growing up, there was very little pressure regarding the holidays. We always got together with family, but there was never much emphasis on what types of food or how many presents or anything like that.

Goodbye blissful ignorance.

My partner's family is very large and *very* in to Christmas. This year, I have been added to the extended family list and have been asked what I want for Christmas. "Is 'nothing' an acceptable answer?" Trying to find guidance, we asked a newly married couple who are friends of ours. Within two minutes they were arguing over the significance of material goods and where exactly the line was between a gesture of love and utter, crass, materialism.

Then, my partner struck upon a genius idea! "Why don't you ask your Secret Santa to donate to a cause?" This year, in addition to protesting Black Friday by not buying anything (also, a great excuse to be lazy!), I am also asking my new Secret Santa (my boyfriend's stepmother's sister's husband) to donate a small amount to any of a list of charities.

Crisis averted! Now on to planning a zero-waste holiday party! (See www.adbusters.org for more cool posters like this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment