Sunday, November 18, 2012

Online resources

A while ago a friend wrote me this:

" I wanted check in with you on a website (EWG-environmental working group). I am really trying to become a more responsible consumer and have been all about documentaries to raise my awareness, but I am having trouble trying to establish credibility with online stuff. Are there site you recommend I start? I am really trying to get others in my family involved, but don't know where to start directing them."

Here is my response:

"Yeah! EWG is a great place to start. Their information on sunscreen, household cleaners, and cosmetics is always top-notch, as are their reports on water quality.

My sister is addicted to Etsy (http://www.etsy.com), which is an online marketplace for regular people who make their own products by hand (especially clothing, jewelry, art, and decor). When I shop there I further restrict the list of vendors to those in the United States only.

Also, Clutter Free Services maintains a list of places in the Bay Area where you can donate used durable goods (e.g., sports equipments, magazines, medical equipment [those crutches you no longer need], etc). This is great when I want to get rid of something, but feel too guilty to throw it in the trash. clutterfreeservices.com/resources.html.

Although not an online resource per se, I must recommend "No Impact Man." It was a blog that developed into a book and documentary. It is the most inspiring environmental book I have ever read (and trust me, I've read a lot). I've made a lot of changes to my life that were surprisingly easy and probably a lot healthier for me anyway.

Okay, hope that's enough for now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment